Thursday, October 20, 2005

Ground Rules not taking off

This year will be remembered at my school as the "grounded year".

Every morning, during assembly, some student makes a speech, which is intended at making our day more lively and getting it off to a good start. As we are students at the top of the school, we were asked to start the ball rolling at the beginning of the year, and we decided to talk on random topics, not having our speeches connected by any common theme.
I believe we were very lucky, because we were not affected by the craze which was to follow.

Starting from the class after ours, every student spoke on the topic of ground rules, punctuality, politeness, honesty, uniformity, monotony, but I digress, you know the sort of thing. It's healthy, I suppose, we should know that sort of thing, but it started to irk me when, for one whole month, student upon student, started the morning with "Ground Rules are an important part of a student's upbringing...". For heaven's sake they spoke on Punctuality for four days straight.

There are banners all over the school depicting the objectives of ground rules and what we should do, what we shouldn't do, etc. It finally got to the stage that I couldn't figure out whether the kids on stage believed what they were saying, or even in the worst case scenario, at least wrote the speech by themselves.

On one occasion, a seventh grader came out with a blockbuster oratorical, a part of which I quote verbatim, which confirmed my suspicions that the poor kid did'nt have a clue what he was talking about :

"Following ground rules is a very important trait which all human beings should posess for it gives us a sense of uniformity and belonging, and allows us conduct ourselves in a regular fashion, using proper mannerisms as befits us, who belong to a high strata in society..."

If he understood more than half of what he said, then I'm Sailor Moon.


The most lamentable part of it is, while these speeches started mid-way through June, it's nearing the end of October, and they're still going. I mean, we're not that thick are we?

11 Comments:

Blogger Ashwin said...

Hehe... My sentiments, exactly. But, I can't believe you actually bother to listen to what they talk about in the morning speeches.

Friday, October 21, 2005 6:11:00 AM  
Blogger sykora said...

I listened to that one because I was in a particularly sardonic mood that morning, and the ridiculousness of it just stuck in my mind.

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:02:00 AM  
Blogger Antarius said...

lol
Same thing in prayers...

They say 'Va Va Shanmuga' about 200 times.. so, thats an insult to the Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Benevolent one... isnt it?

Friday, October 21, 2005 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Aditi said...

hahaha...nice post...
i love the ground rules song though...its the coolest thing...dont you think?

(sung to the tune of skip to my lou)
"Rules, rules, follow the rules
Rules, rules, follow the rules
Rules, rules, follow the rules
Ground rules are for safety!"

Magnificent, isnt it?

Saturday, October 22, 2005 1:18:00 AM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Aint Noise Pollution said...

its really irritaing! every morning...ground rules this ground rules that
what the hell goin 2 skl to listen 2 the same thing again an again
and they were talkin bt how we ignore complusory games
if the damn teacher dosnt teach the same thing for 3 terms like how 2 hold a ball
or even turning up for classes is a miracle

Saturday, October 22, 2005 3:33:00 AM  
Blogger sykora said...

Yes, Adi, I don't even know whether the prodigy who wrote that song in his/her second grade did it by themselves or...

And i really don't think the sporting talent of any student in the school has ever been attributed to compulsory games.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 5:03:00 AM  
Blogger Antarius said...

All the stupidity are belong to them

Saturday, October 22, 2005 7:08:00 PM  
Blogger sykora said...

Not all of it, certainly. I can think of a few other people...

Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kaushik said...

I assume you have read my "ground rules" article in the last issue of The Mad Herald. If you have, I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know what they expect to achieve with all this preaching every morning. Blecch. Just hearing the words "puncuality" or "responsibility" or "time management" in the morning speech turns the audience's attention off.

I hope they let me do one more speech before I leave school. I think I'll speak on ground rules.

Kaushik

Monday, October 24, 2005 9:04:00 AM  
Blogger sykora said...

You know, I've had that thought on any number of occassions. However, whenever I think of what an Impact I'd make if I did make that speech, I realize that there are quite a few other things I'd rather talk about.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 4:49:00 AM  
Blogger Antarius said...

Yamaha - Change the rules

Make the next speech into poetry or a song

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home